.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Lab In the Attic

Thursday, June 01, 2006

I Will Not Quit

Instead of running rampant and ripping the pool down with my teeth, clearer heads prevailed. I decided to drain the pool instead.

What a pain THAT was.

I just couldn't get a handle on it, and it had now gotten so full of alge that you couldn't see down 6 inches. The Loc Ness monster could have been hiding in there and I wouldn't have been able to see it. The pool had beaten me. I had no choice but to drain it and start over with new fresh water.

I used a garden hose as a siphon. Of course, as I sucked on the one end of the hose I was hoping I wouldn't get a mouth full of slag water and algee, because I would have just had to puke it all right back into the pool and make it just that much worse. But luckily I didn't and the water started to drain.

Slowly.

24 hours later the pool was only half drained, and the alge had begun to stick to the sides of the pool as the water went down, leaving trails of green scum that I didn't realize until later had hardened in the sun. Another day later and most of the water was gone except for about 4 inches of green pea soup at the bottom. So I climbed in with my little scrubbie sponge that I use to wash the love-bugs off the front of the cars and started scraping away.

May I say what fun that was?

I spent two night scubbing and hosing, scubbing and hosing, then scooping that water out with a bucket, but I finally got almost every bad drop out. I won! No more slimy green alge, and thankfully no Loc Ness monster hiding in the goop. By then my arms were so sore, the back of my legs were stiff and the rest of me ached.

Now I could use a hot tub, not a pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home